Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Peanut Butter Dog Cookie

Atticus always joins me in the kitchen while I bake, so I thought that I'd bake something especially for him this time. I read through a few dog biscuit recipes to get a rough idea of proportions. I decided to keep it basic for the first batch and go with peanut butter as the main flavor because I know Atticus loves it.



This recipe made a lot of biscuits, but with my chowhound I'm sure they won't last very long.


Atticus's Peanut Butter Cookies
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup organic cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
1 Tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup and 2 Tsp milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour, oats, corn meal, and baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until evenly combined.

Add the eggs, peanut butter, and oil and beat until incorporated.

Add 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water. Beat until the dough comes together. Add the tablespoons of milk one at a time as needed to bring the dough together.



Separate into manageable-sized disks according to the size of your rolling surface. Roll out one disk at a time into an even thickness. Mine came out to be a little more than 1/4 inch thick, but you can add thickness and baking time if you want a biscuit that more closely resembles the thickness of store bought ones.


Cut out cookies into desired shape and place on a lined or greased cookie sheet.


Bake for 16-18 minutes or until firm.


Since making these, I've read some articles about the use of cornmeal in dog food, and it seems to be a highly disputed subject. I used cornmeal because I thought it would add texture and weight to the cookies, and I saw it in other recipes. I will play around with the next batch I make and possibly make some changes like adding apples/apple sauce, omitting the cornmeal, and adjusting the proportions of the other ingredients accordingly.

Atticus highly approves of these cookies!


Let me know what your hounds think.


Happy baking, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment